Lance and I walked away from this conference with about 75 other men from our churches and men's group along with 4,000 other men around many churches and we were not disappointed. Both he and I were affirmed in a good portion of our walk, convicted in some other parts that we have to sharpen up and work on and left wanting in some other areas. Pastor James spoke on 1 Peter Chapter 3 (so did we a while ago - check this out on How to Build Up Your Wives). This past weekend in my church's men's group, two of our facilitators talked about marriage and convictions and confessions of past sins that separated us from our wives and God's holiness, meaning these struggles need to be confessed and repented of, which would allow God's Spirit to work through us.
1 Peter 3 English Standard Version (ESV)
Wives and Husbands
3 Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, 2 when they see your respectful and pure conduct. 3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.
7 Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you[a] of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
Reasons why we need to get our house (our bodies, which are temples of God) in order"
- God calls us to be holy (Read Colossians 3, Read Romans 12)
- God wants us to read his word daily
- God wants a relationship with us (this implies a two way street)
- God wants us to lead our wives (and families)
- God calls us to testify about Him, His Son, His words and His good news
- God calls us to teach and preach to others to repent and turn away from sin (all variations of, which doesn't give us a right to be hypocritical)
- God call us to treat His daughters (our wives) with respect and as heirs to His kingdom (so that our prayers will not be hindered)
- The world is spinning out of control - this doesn't mean that we have to compromise biblical truth
What are some things that you and I need to be honest about? Where can we go from here? What does God require of us today? Likely if you are reading this blog, then you have been elsewhere on the internet. Your time is being pulled from you daily. Is everything we do Coram Deo? Is God over everything in our lives? If not, why not?
What are you waiting for?