If I could change my past.... If I didn't do that....
If I could only avoid.....
If I could crucify Jesus just one more time then my sin.....
Sometimes, we as Christians, rely too much on the ways of this world, on our old self (sin nature) and on the influences of darkness that tries to keep us away from the path of righteousness. Scripture has much to say about this:
- Romans 8 (ESV) Life in the Spirit: 1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.[a] 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you[b] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin,[c] he condemned sin in the flesh
- John 10:25 Jesus answered, "I did tell you" but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never parish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one.
- Philippians 2: 12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is GOd who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the world of Christ dwell in your richly as your teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms ,hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hears to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving to GOd the Father through him.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do no treat prophesies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to good. Avoid every kind of evil.
You and I (those of us who profess and are transformed by the blood of Jesus Christ) have put on a new self in Christ Jesus and are called to put our old self (our old sin nature) to death daily. The flesh wars with the Spirit as the world wars with our souls - Idolatry our choice to avoid or to surrender to God's will instead of ours.
As Christians, it should no longer be If, then, else. Rather it should be - IT IS FINISHED. We do not need another crucifixion or Savior or any condition to be put before us. We need to surrender to God's will in all of our lives and do His will instead of us.
Let go and let God. Draw nearer to God and He will draw nearer to you.
When you hear that "if" in your life, or that doubt or that guilt or the enemy's attacks and guilt factor, simply say, "guilty" and then say out loud again, "covered in full by the blood of Jesus Christ!!!" Your debt, as a born again Christian, has been paid in full. That means that your sins of the past, the present and the future have been covered.
Repent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling and turn toward God. Surrender your will and listen to His will.