Do you find yourself often wondering what God's will is for your life? Questions like is what I do relevant to God's Kingdom? Is what I am doing now where God wants me to be? Am I the father that God wants me to be? Am I the husband that God wants me to be (my wife wants me to be)? Am I the dad that my children and God need me to be? Do I love the Lord with all my heart mind, body and strength (does my checkbook and actions prove that)?
So many things matter to men and we are very deep minded creatures.
In Proverbs 20 verse 5 states, "The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out." (NIV)
As I was reading through the first fourteen books of the Bible, I was very keen to what discipleship would look like through the "OLD" testament.
I found these things to be true, accurate and confirming by the Holy Spirit: As disciples of Christ we are to:
- Master Sin (even in anger): Genesis 4:6-7; Leviticus 19:18
- Master Finances (Give God a tenth of our time, talent and treasure): Genesis 20:20-22
- Obey God Completely: Exodus 19:5-8; 1 Samuel 15:22
- Bless Others: Numbers 6:24-27
- Keep His Word: Numbers 30:2
- Do not fear any man, instead fear God (which is the beginning of wisdom): Dueteronomy 1:17
- Love the Lord (with all of your heart, soul, strength) Deuteronomy 6:5-9
- Study and meditate on God's word: Joshua 1:8
- Serve wholeheartedly: Joshua 24:15; Joshua 14:14
- Know your charge (what are my marching orders): 1 Kings 2:2-3
- Sing & Praise God Always: 1 Chronicles 16:8-10
God isn't asking his disciples to just be fans - he want followers. He wants men who want to know His Son as more than the God Man, instead He wants us to know him as friend. Life is hard enough with its daily jaunts and stresses and questions in life. Instead of pursuing what we think is best, why not pursue the maker of the world and to build community with Him.