2 Timothy 4:6-18 (NIV) 6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
Personal Remarks 9 Do your best to come to me quickly, 10 for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry. 12 I sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.
14 Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. 15 You too should be on your guard against him, because he strongly opposed our message.
16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen"
- Daily Time - daily time of focused community with God
- In the word
- Set time to be in quiet time with God
- In prayer
- Daily Appropriation - begin our time with God by reviewing the Gospel
- Remember that we are prone to sin and to wander
- Only through the perfect sacrifice of Jesus are we saved
- His time should be my time
- Daily Commitment - we need to do our part as disciples of Christ
- We need to become a living sacrifice - Romans 12:1-2New International Version (NIV) A Living Sacrifice "12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
- We have to put our old sin nature to death daily (for some - daily, for others - hourly and still for others - minute-by-minute)
- A Firm Belief in the Sovereignty and Love of God
- God is Sovereign - He's got this whole world in His Hands. Lamentations 3:37 Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it? 38 fIs it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?"
- Because God is Sovereign we are free let him take our vengeance, to take our problems and to take our hands in all that we do
We need to make this a daily habit:
The Habit Poem I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden. I will push you onward or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half of the things you do you might as well turn over to me and I will do them - quickly and correctly. I am easily managed - you must be firm with me. Show me exactly how you want something done and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically. I am the servant of great people, and alas, of all failures as well. Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. I am not a machine though I work with the precision of a machine plus the intelligence of a person. You may run me for profit or run me for ruin - it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am Habit.
- Author Unkown