The question: Who is our model? The answer: God
What is forgiveness? To pardon or to take away. Psalms 103:12 states, "as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us." Note: Forgiveness is a godly response to pray.
What forgiveness does not do:
1) Does not destroy our memory
2) Does not remove all painful emotions (What do you do with memory and pain - take it to God)
3) Does not remove all the consequences of Sin (references to Moses & David)
4) Does not rebuild trust. (Note: To rebuild make your life an open book (have accountability in every aspect of your life)
5) Does not always result in reconciliation
-By making you question their sincerity
-By faith, you choose to forgive them
What if the person does not apologize?
4) We return good for evil (Scripture: Romans 12:19-21)
We make forgiveness a priority in our lives by making it personal:
1) Whom do I need to forgive?
2) Whom do I need to lovingly confront
3) Whom do I need to release to God?
4) Whom do I need to apologize to?
Take a self exam for items 1 through 4:
How honest do you want to be?