These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
Dear Men of Faith,
As you read this Scripture and think about God's call in your life, let me ask you these questions:
- If you are married, and your relationship with Jesus directly correlated with the healthiness of your marriage, how would your marriage look?
- If you are dating, and your relationship with Jesus directly correlated with the healthiness of your significant other, how would your relationship be?
- If you were to take an hones look at your life and examine it would you be hot (on fire for God), cold (completely backslidden and/or not saved) or would you be lukewarm (vomit in God's mouth)?
- How do I get unstuck?
Scripture on being Lukewarm or Stuck in the middle:
- 1 John 2:15-16 ESV Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.
- Matthew 12:30 ESV Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
- Matthew 5:13 ESV “You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.
- James 3:10-12 ESV From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.
- 2 Timothy 4:3 ESV For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
- 1 John 3:10 ESV By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
- 1 Peter 3:15 ESV But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
- 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 ESV Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”
- Matthew 16:26 ESV For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
- Matthew 12:33-37 ESV “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad, for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers! How can you speak good, when you are evil? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good person out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
- 2 Timothy 3:4 ESV Treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,
- Revelation 3:16 ESV So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 ESV Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
- 1 Timothy 4:1 ESV Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,
Seasons change and life impacts us all in so many different ways. Christmas time, for instance, can bring some joy (thinking of family and loved ones and times together) and for others can cause pain and hurt (loss of loved ones or broken relationships). It could be depression, it could be bitterness, it could be health or it just could be that I am more satisfied (or likely unsatisfied) about the state of being that you/I are currently am in versus taking the steps necessary to draw near to God and see what His will in my life.
That last statement actually gets to the core of where I am trying to go with this: Are you going to get off the throne of your life, or your lukewarmness and place God where He needs to be in each of our lives - on the throne room of our hearts!
Is God the God of our entire life or just the parts that we want to "let go of?"